College of Arts, Social Sciences, and Humanities
History Department Chair: Kenneth Shonk
403C Wimberly Hall; 608.785.6560
School of Education
235 Morris Hall; 608.785.8134
Teacher candidates completing any of the four broadfield social studies education majors will be prepared for WI certification in Middle and High School Social Studies (grades 4-12). This teaching license includes all six social studies subject areas: economics, geography, history, political science, psychology, and sociology. The learning outcomes for the program are designed to prepare teacher candidates to meet the current National Council for Social Studies (NCSS) and InTASC Teacher Standards. This program is affiliated with the School of Education, and teacher candidates completing this program meet School of Education core requirements, as well as other admissions, benchmark assessment, and statutory requirements for licensure.
While all four tracks prepare teacher candidates for the same WI Social Studies teaching license (2700), teacher candidates may still wish to specialize in a particular area and/or obtain an additional subject-specific license through a state-approved content test after earning their WI Middle and High School Social Studies license. Thus, several tracks have been developed that provide some flexibility for prospective social studies teachers to craft preparation pathways to the new Social Studies license that fit their needs and interests.
Academic departments for the content areas:
- Geography and Environmental Science
- Political Science and Public Administration
- Sociology and Criminal Justice
The History Department
The History Department houses the Broadfield Social Studies Program's curriculum and faculty.
- Broadfield social studies education (grades 4-12) major - BS
- Broadfield social studies education (grades 4-12) major: history concentration - BS
- Broadfield social studies education (grades 4-12) major: political science concentration - BS
- Broadfield social studies education (grades 4-12) major: sociology concentration - BS