2018-2019 Catalog

Publication date June 2018

Withdrawal Policies - Undergraduate

Individual class withdrawal policy

Any student may withdraw from a class until one week beyond mid-term of a full semester class. All withdrawals from classes after the "drop/add/change of schedule" period are recorded with a "W" on the student’s permanent academic record along with the official date of withdrawal. (See the university drop/add/change of schedule policy for details on the add/drop/change of schedule period). Classes shorter than the full term length offered during a semester or during an intersession have withdrawal time limits established on a basis prorated to withdrawal dates for a full semester class.

The student must obtain either the advisor’s or the instructor’s permission during this time period. No student is permitted to withdraw from a class later than one week beyond mid-term of a semester for a full semester course. Only a grade of "F" or "I" may be recorded for any student who continues past this time period and fails to complete a class. See the withdrawal from UWL policy for exceptions.

Failure to follow the prescribed procedures and to observe the prescribed time limits for withdrawal from classes will result in the recording of failing grades in discontinued classes. If a student withdraws from a course taken as a "repeat," the original grade earned will remain in the overall grade point average calculation.

Withdrawal from UWL policy

Withdrawal from the university is a matter of major importance. Students considering withdrawal from school, should discuss the matter with an academic advisor, program director, and/or dean prior to initiating action. The official date of withdrawal from all classes will be recorded on the permanent academic record if the student withdraws after classes begin.

Forms for withdrawing from the university may be obtained from Student Life, 149 Graff Main Hall. The forms provide a checklist which withdrawing students are expected to follow carefully. Withdrawal procedures must be fully completed before a withdrawal becomes official.

An official withdrawal entitles a student to a refund of fees when the withdrawal date falls within a refund period. The official date of withdrawal is the date the withdrawal form is received in the Records and Registration Office. A "W" (Withdrawal) will appear on the student’s academic transcript if the withdrawal date is prior to one week after mid-term of a given semester. A grade of "WP" or "WF" will appear if the withdrawal falls after the mid-term point. A grade of "WF" will be averaged into the GPA. Withdrawal from the university is not allowed after the three-quarter point of the term. Students who withdraw after classes have begun will be charged a withdrawal fee.

An unofficial withdrawal will result in recording failing grades in discontinued courses and in encumbering of student records if the following obligations to the university have not been met: release from graduate assistantship obligations, if appropriate; returning books to textbook service and Murphy Library; returning other university supplies and/or equipment issued during preceding periods of regular enrollment; clearing a record through an exit interview in the Financial Aid Office, if applicable; and securing a final clearance in the Cashier’s Office with respect to any refund(s) which may be due or obligations unfulfilled regarding university fees, housing or food service arrangements, or accounts, and relinquishing the student identification card. 

In some cases, students may request an emergency medical withdrawal from the university.

Note: Pursuant to the regulations of Title IV of the Federal Higher Education Act of 1965, as amended, students who receive student financial aid and receive all F1-F14 grades (recorded as F's) will be subject to the federal Title IV Return of Funds Policy. These students may be required to return funds to the student financial programs and may also be liable for repayments directly to UW-La Crosse.

Medical withdrawal policy

Medical withdrawal must be initiated by a student or authorized agent on or before the last day of classes of the semester for which the withdrawal is being requested. The withdrawal request must be supported by a letter from a health care provider which describes the limitations on the student’s continued participation in courses. The Student Health Center will verify the authenticity of the support letter and will notify Student Life. Student Life will consult the appropriate academic dean, the Director of Graduate Studies, the appropriate graduate program director, and all of the student's instructors. When the withdrawal is completed, the Records and Registration Office will notify instructors if a grade is required.

For courses in which the student has withdrawn, the permanent academic record will show no credits were earned. However, the status of the student’s grades at the time of the withdrawal will be posted. The record will show one of the following grades submitted by the instructor: "EP" (emergency withdrawal passing) or "EF" (emergency withdrawal failing). Such grades will not be included in the computation of the term or cumulative grade point average.

Any exception to the policies of the medical withdrawal must be appealed through the Student Life Office to the University’s Committee on Academic Policies and Standards (CAPS). A decision by CAPS is final.

Military duty withdrawal from the university

Military duty withdrawal applies to those students who are ordered to active duty (i.e., active duty Reserve, National Guard), not to individuals who voluntarily enlist. A copy of the orders/activation papers must be submitted to Student Life, 149 Graff Main Hall. The staff in that office will provide assistance and guidance with the withdrawal process, which may occur at any time. Depending on when the withdrawal is effective, options are available for complete or partial withdrawal with grades of "EP" and "EF," for accepting normal letter grades, or for "Incomplete" grades.

Refunds will be calculated based on dates and options selected. More information can be found in the university's full Military Duty Withdrawal Policy.

Back to Top