2017-18 Catalog

Publication date June 2017

Registration and Schedules - Undergraduate

Registration process

The university has online registration via the WINGS Student Center. Registration for the winter and spring terms begins in November; summer registration begins a week before fall registration in early to mid-April. A student's enrollment date and time is located on his/her WINGS Student Center. The student may register at that assigned time or any time after, through the fifth day of classes (third day for a summer term) unless enrollment limits have been met. The drop/add/change of schedule policy has more details on the deadlines for schedule changes.

The online Timetable and WINGS Class Search have complete instructions for registration and schedule changes after registration. The registration system will not permit a student to enroll in a class for which a prerequisite has not been completed, if there is a time conflict, if the class is closed, or if the additional credits will put the student's credit load over 18 credits for undergraduates or 15 credits for graduates. Some graduate programs require graduate students to register through their advisors instead of using the WINGS system.

Continuing students must have a zero balance on their accounts in order to register. In addition, all students are charged a non-refundable registration fee each term they register for one or more courses. This fee is listed in the Cashier's Terms and Conditions. If a student drops all classes before the term begins, the student is still responsible for this fee.

University drop/add/change of schedule policy

The period of time between a student’s initial registration for any term through the first 10 days of classes during an academic semester is considered to be the "drop/add/change of schedule" period. Classes shorter than the traditional full semester length offered during a semester or during an intersession have drop/add schedules that reflect deadlines pro-rated from a full semester based on the length of the class. 

For schedule changes associated with dropping classes, neither the advisor's permission nor the instructor's permission is required during this period and a student may drop classes without affecting the permanent academic record. After the drop/add/change of schedule period, if a student withdraws from a course, the course withdrawal policy applies.

For schedule changes associated with adding courses, if the desired section is not closed, no permissions are needed during the first five days of classes for full semester courses. From the sixth day through the tenth day of classes for full semester courses, permission from the instructor is required and departmental permission may also be required. After the close of the add/drop/change of schedule period, classes cannot be added except in unusual cases and then only with the consent of the instructor, department chair, and the dean's office.


University class drops at an instructor's discretion policy

A student enrolled in any course is expected to be in attendance from the first day or to have notified the instructor or Student Life that attendance is not possible. A student registered in a section who fails to attend the first two class sessions or provide proper notification may be dropped from the course at the discretion of the instructor.

An instructor who wishes to drop a student from a course during the first five days of instruction should complete a drop/add form and submit it to the Office of Records and Registration during the "drop/add/change of schedule" period. A decision by an instructor to drop a student from a class may not be appealed to any other individual or body in the university. A student should not assume that an instructor will use the discretionary drop if the student does not attend class. It is a student’s responsibility to withdraw from a class.

Undergraduate student credit load policy

The standard undergraduate load is 15 credits per semester. Credit loads of 19 or more constitute an "overload" and may be carried only if an application is made in writing and approved by the dean of the school or college in which the applicant is enrolled. Overloads are not approved for first semester first years or for any student with a cumulative grade point average less than a 3.25.

The standard undergraduate load during a 12-week summer term is 12 semester credits. This is the maximum number of credits that can be earned during the summer term. For winter intersession, a student may earn, as a maximum, the number of credits corresponding to the number of weeks in any interim session (i.e., three weeks: three credits).

To be considered full-time, undergraduate students must carry a minimum of 12 semester credits during the semester and six credits during summer term. Half-time is based on six credits for a semester and three credits for summer term. Credits carried on an audit basis do not count as part of a load to establish full-time or half-time status for any type of eligibility - sports, loans, etc. To qualify for federal student financial aid in the summer, students need to carry 12 credits to be full-time and six credits to be part-time.

UW-Extension Independent Learning courses taken during a regular term are considered part of an individual’s load for one term only. These courses, if properly approved, may count toward the undergraduate degree but are not averaged into the cumulative grade point average.

Student classifications

First Year0-29 semester credits
Sophomore30-59 credits
Junior60-89 credits
Senior90 credits or more


  • Graduate student
  • special non-degree student
  • student seeking certificate
  • second degree student

In addition to the above classifications, undergraduate students often are classified by the college in which they are enrolled:

  • College of Business Administration
  • College of Liberal Studies
    • School of Arts and Communication
  • College of Science and Health
  • School of Education, Professional and Continuing Education

Class attendance

Students are responsible to their respective instructors for all absences. If a student is absent an extended period of time (over one week), due to illness, family emergency, etc., the student should contact Student Life, 149 Graff Main Hall. That office will inform the instructors involved of the absence. This serves as notification only, not necessarily a formal excuse. It is the student's responsibility to contact each instructor for make-up work, etc. There is no "cut" system. University regulations prohibit excusing students and the dismissal of classes immediately preceding or immediately following scheduled vacation or recess periods except in cases of commonly recognized and extreme emergencies.

University audit policy

Students may audit courses under the following arrangements:

  1. Students must receive consent of the department chair and the instructor offering the course.
  2. No change from audit to credit will be permitted after the first week of classes. No change from credit to audit will be permitted after the first half of a semester or summer session. Shorter courses have prorated deadlines.
  3. No credit will be granted for any course that is audited. "Audit" will appear on the student's permanent academic record. The "AS/AU" grading system is used for auditors. The grade will not affect a student's GPA.
  4. An audited course may be repeated for credit in another semester or term.
  5. Appropriate tuition and fees are to be paid for the course.
  6. Courses being audited are not usable to establish full-time or part-time status for any type of eligibility, such as for athletic participation, student grants/loans, or loan deferment.
  7. Courses being audited may not be taken in excess of student load limits for credit generating courses without special "overload" permission from the student's academic dean.
  8. A course previously completed for credit may be audited in another term.

Changing assigned college or school

Undergraduate students, upon enrollment, are assigned immediately to one of the schools or colleges within the university for advisement, registration, and record-keeping purposes. They may transfer by meeting prescribed admission, curriculum, or other requirements of the new school or college of their choice. Intra-university transfers are initiated at the dean’s office of the college or school to which one wishes to transfer. Students wishing to transfer from one college or school to another must be in good academic standing at the time of the transfer. Students wishing to transfer who are not in good academic standing should consult with the dean’s office of the college or school to which they wish to transfer.

Admission and other requirements vary among the schools and colleges and their programs. Frequently, additional credits and time are needed to complete graduation requirements after a change of college or school. Students who decide to make such changes are responsible for familiarizing themselves with the requirements.

University undergraduate enrollment in graduate courses policy

Undergraduate students with senior status (at least 90 credits) who have at least a 3.00 cumulative grade point average, may enroll in a maximum of six graduate credits. These graduate level credits may not be used to satisfy requirements for a bachelor’s degree. Exceptions to these requirements must be approved by the Graduate Council. Maximum student credit load for dual enrollment (graduate/undergraduate) is 15 credit hours for a semester and eight credit hours for a summer term (standard university overload approval process applies). Undergraduate students are not allowed to enroll in graduate level MBA courses.

Students must submit written permission from the course instructor and their advisor, along with a graduate special non-degree application, to the Admissions Office prior to registering for a graduate course. Undergraduate tuition and fees are charged. Students in dual-degree programs must complete the graduate program application process and pay graduate tuition fees. Students are expected to purchase texts for graduate courses.

Back to Top