2016-17 Catalog

Publication date June 2016

Expenses - Undergraduate

Tuition and Fees

The university establishes a tuition and fee schedule for each academic year. The tuition and fees for each term are published by the Cashier's Office. If there are questions about charges on a student's WINGS account, contact the Cashier’s Office, 121 Graff Main Hall. The Board of Regents reserves the right to change tuition and fees without published notice.

New students (including transfers) are required to pay a non-refundable (enrollment) tuition deposit before registering for classes.

All students are charged a non-refundable registration fee each term they register for one or more courses. If a student drops all classes before the term begins, the student is still responsible for this fee.

Electronic billing

Billing reminders are sent via email to the student’s campus email address. Billing information is confidential. By law, the university cannot release this information to anyone other than the student. It is the responsibility of the student to check campus email and to make sure that the bill is routed to the proper individual for making payment.

Current billing information can also be found in the Cashier's Office or, for current students, using their WINGS Student Center. A student ID# and PIN are required to access the WINGS electronic bill. Because this PIN allows access to other confidential information, such as grades and schedules, it is the student's decision as to whether or not to share the PIN with other individuals. Payment can be made electronically through the WINGS Student Center.

Installment billing

Semester charges for tuition, room, and board are due no later than the posted due date. A student may elect to either pay the bill in full without interest by the billing due date or pay a portion of the balance due and be billed one month later for the remainder plus interest. All outstanding balances must be paid in full before a student will be allowed to register for future terms.

Excess credit policy

Wisconsin resident undergraduate students who have earned 165 credits or 30 credits more than required for their degree programs, whichever is greater, are charged a surcharge equal to 100% of the regular resident tuition on credits beyond that level (excluding segregated fees). The surcharge is applied in the semester following the one in which the student reaches the earned credit limit. Exceptions may be made where appropriate to ensure that students are able to complete their degree requirements.

The policy covers all Wisconsin resident undergraduate students pursuing their first bachelor’s degree, including students pursuing a double major. Minnesota residents and non-residents graduate, post-baccalaureate, and non-degree students are exempt. All credits earned at UW-System campuses and Wisconsin Technical College System (WTCS) transfer credits accepted toward a degree are counted in the total. Retroactive, AP, military, and other college transfer credits do not count.

Once it has been levied, students have the right to appeal the surcharge to the assistant controller by first submitting an appeal with their academic dean's office.

Segregated fees

The semester bill includes instructional fees (tuition) and segregated fees. The tuition charge is established by the Board of Regents, and the fees are determined by the student government with the support of campus administration. The fees fund student services including the Health Center, textbook rental, student centers, the childcare center, and activities such as athletics, intramurals, and other organized activities.


Undergraduate course textbooks are available on a rental basis through the Textbook Rental Service. Textbook rental, for undergraduates, is included in the semester segregated fee. Undergraduates may purchase rental textbook titles through the University Bookstore on a special order basis. Students enrolled in graduate courses are expected to purchase their textbooks, which are available through the University Bookstore.

Health service

If a student meets student health service requirements and pay the segregated fee at registration, the student is eligible to receive outpatient care, physical therapy, radiography, and laboratory service in the Health Center. Students carrying seven credits or more are automatically charged the segregated fee. Students carrying less than seven credits may choose to pay a health service fee. A description of health care facilities and medical requirements for entering students can be found in the Student Health Center.

The following services are not provided: medicines, eye refraction, care of families of married students, medical and surgical consultation outside of the Health Center, ambulance service, emergency room visits, hospitalization, house calls or after hours visits, dental visits, premarital examinations, pregnancy care, infertility studies, sterilization procedures, or abortion.

Students should check their current insurance policies to make sure they have adequate coverage for services not provided by the Health Center. If a student does not have health insurance coverage, the student may enroll in a student group insurance plan. If the student's current policy will expire during the school year, the student should plan to purchase student group insurance at the beginning of the semester in which existing coverage will cease.

Residence halls

According to the Board of Regents policy, first years and sophomores who are not veterans, married students, or students residing in their parent’s or guardian’s home must live in a university-operated residence hall when accommodations are available. Requests for exceptions to this policy must be made in writing to the Director of Residence Life.

Once a student has been accepted and paid the registration fee, the student will be sent directions about the online sign-up process. The student will be directed to pay a housing deposit and then complete the online housing application. Residence hall facilities, regulations, and programs are described in the Residence Life section of this catalog.

UWL dining services

All students living in traditional residence halls must purchase one of the traditional Basic or Plus Meal Plans and are not eligible to be on any block plans. Students on the Basic Plan can choose to have 14 or 19 meals per week. The Plus Plan offers a choice of 14 or 19 meals per week and 30 Block meals for the semester. Students living in Reuter Hall may purchase a Reuter Block Plan or choose to be on one of the traditional meal plans. The student will be given an opportunity to select a meal plan that best fits the student's eating preferences. Should a student find that meal plan needs are different than the student anticipated, the student may request changes during the first two weeks of school. Students may change their meal plan at the end of the semester by visiting the Meal Plan/TowerOne Card Office, 223 Cartwright Center.

Contract board service is provided in Whitney Center. Catering and other dining areas are available in Cartwright Center for commuters as well as resident students. Dining service is available only when the university is in session. Limited dining options are available during winter intersession and summer term. Further information may be obtained from the Meal Plan/TowerOne Card Office, 223 Cartwright Center.

Back to Top