2019-2020 Catalog

Publication date June 2019

Veteran Benefits

The university is fully approved for the education of veterans and veterans’ dependents under both federal and state programs. New students who qualify for benefits should report to the Veterans Benefits Coordinator in the Office of Records and Registration, 116 Graff Main Hall, before or during registration. After this initial contact, registered students should keep the Benefits Coordinator apprised of their status and needs each semester.

To receive support from veteran programs, after registering for classes each semester, a student is required to report to the Veterans Benefits Coordinator to complete a certification request form. The university certifies attendance and credit load to the Veterans Administration based on the certification request. Only courses that satisfy degree requirements can be certified for VA educational benefits. 

Payments of veterans’ benefits depend on the number of credits carried. Students should carry at least 12 credits during the semester to receive full benefits under most programs. Payment will be awarded according to the schedule below. Contact the Veterans Benefits Coordinator for summer term rules.

Table to determine % of benefits

Undergraduate credits Enrollment/benefits status
12+ Full-time
9-11 3/4 time
6-8 1/2 time

More information can be found in the Veterans Educational Benefits Office and the Office of Records and Registration.

Priority registration for service members

The State of Wisconsin grants priority registration for students who have served or are serving on active duty under honorable conditions in the United States armed forces, including Reservists and members of the National Guard. At the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse, priority registration allows service members to register at the front of their class, meaning that a service member of sophomore standing will be able to register before other sophomores. To receive this benefit, a DD-214 or a Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE) must be filed with the Veterans Educational Benefit Coordinator prior to registration.

Back to Top