Admissions Policies: Special Non-Degree Students

Students desiring to audit or take selected courses for credit, but who do not expect to earn a degree at this university, may enroll as special non-degree students. Applications for admission are to be sent electronically. Complete transcripts of high school and college records need not be submitted; however, in some circumstances to determine eligibility for admission, the Admissions Office may request that the student submit academic records. A high school diploma or its equivalent is required. Students may be admitted to undergraduate status on a degree basis at a later date provided they submit an application as a degree seeking student, send complete transcripts of previous work, and meet admission requirements.

After admission as a degree seeking student, course work as a special non-degree student will be evaluated. Credit may be granted for courses completed during the initial period of special status, although there is no assurance that work as a special student will be credited toward degree completion. If regular undergraduate status is achieved by following this procedure, no student will be allowed to revert to a special non-degree status to avoid conforming to any prescribed course of study.

Students disqualified for entrance or continuance at another collegiate institution are not eligible to enroll as special non-degree students at the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse.

Students who already have a college degree and desire to undertake further study to earn a second undergraduate major, to qualify for teaching certification, or to remove deficiencies must complete the UW System application and submit one official transcript of all previous college work.

Information regarding undergraduate enrollment in graduate courses may be found within the "Academic Policies" section.