**Currently not accepting new students**
(Teacher certification programs: middle childhood-early adolescence; admission to MC-EA is required)
|GER 300||Advanced German||3|
|Language and literature:|
|GER 301||An Introduction to German Literature||3|
|Select six credits of the following:||6|
|German Conversation and Composition|
|German Grammar and Composition|
|German Conversation and Phonetics|
Or equivalent courses from study abroad
|Culture and civilization:|
|GER 320||German Civilization: 1870-Reunification||3|
|GER 326||Current Events||1|
|Select three credits of the following:||3|
|German Civilization: 1989-Present|
Or equivalent course from study abroad
|Select electives at the 300/400 level in German 1||5|
|GCL 310||Theories and Research in Second Language Acquisition||3|
|GCL 400||Teaching World Languages: Methods and Approaches||3|
MC-EA teacher education candidates are encouraged to work toward or complete a German studies major. Consult with a German studies education advisor if you plan to major in German studies education.
Study abroad requirement:
- All students should consult with their advisor in German studies regarding specific requirements for study abroad.
- MC-EA program/major candidates are required to complete a minimum of 10 weeks (14 weeks or a full semester are recommended) abroad in a program approved by the Department of Global Cultures and Languages (GCL); all students must consult with their GCL advisor before committing to a specific study abroad program.
- German studies education MC-EA minors are required to complete the 300 level bridge course (GER 300) before studying abroad. Up to 13 credits may be taken abroad at a site approved by the Department of Global Cultures and Languages or on approved faculty-led programs.
Language proficiency for student teaching requirements:
Prior to student teaching, teacher candidates are required to
- Demonstrate proficiency with an "Intermediate High" rating on the American Council Teaching of Foreign Languages Oral Proficiency test in German (ACTFL-OPIc) and
- Demonstrate proficiency with an "Intermediate High" rating on the American Council Teaching of Foreign Languages Written Proficiency test in German (ACTFL-WPT Internet).