2019-2020 Catalog

Publication date June 2019

Dual Degree Program in Chemistry and Engineering

Students with a chemistry major who also are interested in engineering may be able to receive both a Bachelor of Science degree (chemistry major) from UW-La Crosse and a Bachelor of Science degree (engineering major) from a partnering institution (UW-Madison, UW-Milwaukee, UW-Platteville, UW-Stout, University of Minnesota-Duluth, or Winona State University). At UW-La Crosse, students must complete a minimum of 87 credits, including the general education requirements and specific math and science courses in preparation for the engineering program. Students are recommended to include the following courses in their work at UW-La Crosse:

CHM 103General Chemistry I5
CHM 104General Chemistry II5
CHM 271The Chemical Community1
CHM 301Analytical Chemistry5
CHM 303Organic Chemistry Theory I3
CHM 304Organic Chemistry Theory II3
CHM 305Organic Chemistry Laboratory2
CHM 309Physical Chemistry Theory I3
CHM 310Physical Chemistry Theory II3
CHM 313Physical Chemistry Laboratory2
ECO 110Microeconomics and Public Policy3
ECO 120Global Macroeconomics3
ECO 336Women in the U.S. Economy3
MTH 207Calculus I5
MTH 208Calculus II4
MTH 309Linear Algebra with Differential Equations4
MTH 310Calculus III: Multivariable Calculus4
PHY 203General Physics I4
PHY 204General Physics II4
STAT 245Probability and Statistics4
Exam and survey requirement:

During the student's last semester on campus, completion of the following is required in order to graduate:

  1. The Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry Learning Environment Survey and
  2. A standardized exam covering the major subject areas.

Students should consult with the chemistry department chair for specific course and sequence advising for this agreement.

Students who express interest in the dual degree program may be selected for entrance into the UW-Madison or the University of Minnesota Duluth portion of the program (for chemical engineering studies), and/or into the UW-Milwaukee, UW-Platteville, UW-Stout, or Winona State University portion of the program (for other engineering studies). Selection for entrance into an engineering program will be based on their GPA in all course work; their GPA in the chemistry, computer science, mathematics, and physics course work required by the program; and the positive recommendation of the UW- La Crosse chemistry department chair (or designee). The dual degree engineering agreement with UW-Madison has additional requirements for eligibility, including Wisconsin resident status and that students must have enrolled in UW-La Crosse from high school (rather than transferring to UWL).

In order to receive the B.S. degree from UW-La Crosse, dual-degree students also must complete the remaining 35 credits (to total a minimum of 120 credits) in engineering at the partner institution and transfer these credits to UW-La Crosse. For the typical student, the remaining 35 credits must include at least 15 credits at the 300 level or above and at least 13 credits from the engineering college or institute. This transfer of credits and awarding of the B.S. degree by UW-La Crosse can take place as soon as the student earns the necessary credits.

All students must complete the general education, college core, major/minor, and university degree requirements in order to qualify for a degree. The easiest way to track all of these requirements is to refer to the Advisement Report (AR) found in the Student Information System (WINGS) Student Center. All enrolled students have access to the AR.  

College of Science and Health (CSH) Bachelor of Science core requirements

B.S. and B.A. students graduating from the College of Science and Health are required to take two natural laboratory science courses selected from the general education laboratory science category (GE 05) and/or from BIO 203, BIO 304, BIO 210, CHM 104, ESC 221, ESC 222, PHY 104 or PHY 204, and they either must take two mathematics courses or one math course and one computer science course from the math/logical systems category of the general education requirements (GE 02). One of the two science courses must be from a department outside of the student’s major department.

Note: Math courses can be pairs, i.e. 150 and 151; MTH/CS majors can use two science courses from same department.

For the Bachelor of Science degree, in addition to all other College of Science and Health core requirements, students from non-exempted programs1 must complete one of the following options. It is recommended that courses are selected in consultation with students’ academic advisor.

  1. Complete a second major; or

  2. Complete a minor outside the major; or

  3. Complete an individualized option, consisting of 18 credits

    1. At least 12 credits must be earned at the 300/400 level outside the major department.

    2. The remaining six credits should come from

      1. 100 level or higher courses outside the major (General education courses may apply provided they are not being used to fulfill minimum general education requirements.); or

      2. 300/400 level courses inside major not being used to fulfill major requirements.

    3. Internship credits may not count toward the individualized option.

Baccalaureate degree requirements

Candidates for the Bachelor of Arts or the Bachelor of Science degrees must accomplish the following:

  1. Fulfill the general education requirements.
  2. Complete at least one ethnic studies (diversity) course.
  3. Complete the courses prescribed by the Undergraduate Curriculum Committee for the degree desired in the respective school or college. (No substitutions for graduation may be made in course requirements for a major or minor after the fourth week of the last semester of the senior year.)
  4. Earn a minimum of 120 semester credits with at least a 2.00 cumulative GPA.1
  5. At least 40 credits must be earned in 300/400 level courses. Transfer courses earned at the 300/400 level apply to this requirement. Courses earned at the 100/200 level that transferred to UWL as 300/400 level courses do not apply to this requirement.
  6. Complete major and minor requirements with at least a 2.00 GPA1 in each major and minor (and concentration or emphasis, if selected).
  7. A minimum of 30 semester credits in residence at UWL is required for graduation. (See undergraduate resident requirement.)
  8. Submit an application for graduation via the "Apply for Graduation" link in the WINGS Student Center as soon as the student has registered for his or her final semester or summer term in residence. December and winter intersession graduates should apply by May 1. May and summer graduates should apply by December 1.

No degree will be awarded unless all requirements are fulfilled and recorded within 30 days after the official ending date of each term.

Back to Top