General Science Education (Broad Field) Major (Early Adolescence-Adolescence Cert) - 2nd major only
(Teacher certification programs: early adolescence-adolescence)
Second major only. First major must be biology education, chemistry education, or physics education.
- STEP teacher education candidates are required to complete a 36-40 credit major in biology education, chemistry education, or physics education
- 14 credits in one science area outside of the science major selected from biology, chemistry, earth science, or physics
- Eight credits in each of the two remaining science areas selected from biology, chemistry, earth science, or physics
- One mathematics course beyond minimum general education math requirement
Note: The completion of one certifiable minor is highly recommended instead of the completion of the 14 credit requirement.
Additional teacher education requirements are listed in the STEP Program core.
All teacher education students must complete the general education, School of Education requirements, major/minor, and university degree requirements in order to qualify for a degree. The easiest way to track all of these requirements is to refer to the Advisement Report (AR) found in the Student Information System (WINGS) Student Center. All enrolled students have access to the AR.
Baccalaureate degree requirements
Candidates for the Bachelor of Arts or the Bachelor of Science degrees must accomplish the following:
- Fulfill the general education requirements.
- Complete at least one ethnic studies (diversity) course.
- Complete the courses prescribed by the Undergraduate Curriculum Committee for the degree desired in the respective school or college. (No substitutions for graduation may be made in course requirements for a major or minor after the fourth week of the last semester of the senior year.)
- Earn a minimum of 120 semester credits with at least a 2.00 cumulative GPA.1 At least 40 credits must be earned in 300/400 (senior college) level courses. Courses earned at the 100/200 level that transferred to UWL as 300/400 level courses do not apply to this requirement nor do courses from two-year schools.
- Complete major and minor requirements with at least a 2.00 GPA1 in each major and minor (and concentration or emphasis, if selected).
- A minimum of 30 semester credits in residence at UWL is required for graduation. (See undergraduate resident requirement.)
- Submit an application for graduation via the "Apply for Graduation" link in the WINGS Student Center as soon as the student has registered for his or her final semester or summer term in residence. December and winter intersession graduates should apply by May 1. May and summer graduates should apply by December 1.
Grade point average requirements for some programs will be considerably higher than 2.00. Re-entering students may be required to earn credits in excess of the 120 needed for graduation in any curriculum in order to replace credits earned in courses in which the content has changed substantially in recent years. Each case will be judged on its own merit.
No degree will be awarded unless all requirements are fulfilled and recorded within 30 days after the official ending date of each term.