2017-18 Catalog

Publication date June 2017

Admissions Policies: International Students

International applicants seeking undergraduate admission to UWL should follow the instructions below.

Application and fee: Applicants must complete the UW System online application and pay the undergraduate application fee.

Academic records: Official copies of academic records from all secondary and post-secondary institutions attended are required, even if the program was not completed. Documents issued in languages other than English must be accompanied by literal English translations.

  • Transfer students: Course descriptions from all university-level courses are required. If detailed course descriptions are not provided, transfer credit will not be awarded. English language courses are not transferable to UW-La Crosse, as they are not offered at university-level in the United States.

Proof of English language proficiency: Applicants for undergraduate study who are not native speakers of English must meet one of the following for admission:

  • Official TOEFL score of at least 73 iBT or 550 pBT - Institution Code: 1914.1
  • Official IELTS score of at least 6.0 with at least 5.5 in all subscores.1
  • Graduation from a US high school or secondary school in a country where English is the official language of education.
    • Applicant must have studied in the English speaking country for a minimum of three years.

Undergraduate applicants who do not have the required English proficiency may be considered for conditional admission. Students who are conditionally admitted are required to enroll in the English as a Second Language Institute (ESL). Conditionally admitted students must complete the ESL program or submit sufficient TOEFL or IELTS scores before they will be allowed to enroll in an academic program.


 TOEFL and IELTS scores cannot be more than two years old.

Proof of funding: A bank statement and affidavit of support is required for students requesting an F-1 visa. Funding must be equal or greater than International Education & Engagement’s estimated costs for one year (two semesters) of undergraduate study. Students who require F-2 visas for dependents (spouse and/or children) must submit additional proof of funding and passport copies for each dependent.

Passport copy: Submit a photocopy of the biographical data in the applicant's passport. If the applicant is admitted to a program, this will ensure that immigration documents are issued accurately.

Application materials can be sent to:

Admissions Office
2342 Student Union
University of Wisconsin-La Crosse
1725 State Street
La Crosse, WI 54601

For more information on international student admissions, visit the Admissions Office.

Back to Top